Power BI is a business solution which provides a bunch of analytics tools that help an organization to get insights from their data, create reports and share dashboards to users.
What does Power BI offer?
In simple words Power BI has three key points :
- Cloud-based data analysis and reporting
- Simple and user-friendly
- Powerful and mature
The History of Power BI
Power BI is the progression of many solutions that aim at analyzing data.
At the below image we can see the history of Power BI. What exactly see is that Power BI is a blend of Power Pivot, SSAS, PowerView, Power Query and Power Map.
Power BI Components
At the below list the basic Power BI components are mentioned,
- Power Query: Data mash up and transformation tool
- Power Pivot: In-memory tabular data modeling tool
- Power View: Data visualization tool
- Power Map: 3D Geo-spatial data visualization tool
- Power Q&A: Natural language question and answering engine
- Power BI Desktop: A powerful companion development tool for Power BI
Power Bi Approach
Power BI Considerations & Limitations
Of course like every software we have some considerations and limitations Power BI has to comply with.
- Data set size Limit
- 1 GB limit for each data set in the Power BI service
- Row Limit (max number of rows in data set)
- not using Directory Query: 2 billion rows
- using Direct Query: 1 million rows
- Column limit (max number of columns allowed in a data set)
- 16.0000 columns
Power BI Benefits
As we have already said Power BI is a very powerful analytics tool that helps organizations to analyze and share data insights. In the below image we can see the benefits of this tool.
Power BI Data Sources
|Notice : The list of available data sources constantly updated|
DAX (Data Analysis Expressions)
One of the valuable Power BI features is DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) which offers users functions, conditional statements and value references for data manipulation.
Power BI Desktop Min Requirements
Power BI Desktop Gateway
- On-premises data gateways (personal mode)
- On-premises data gateway