In the Covid19 days, more and more enterprises start using Windows Virtual Desktop to provide a safe remote work environment to their employees.
This post will help us to get understand how to configure a VM to start, when a user connects via the RDP, and what are the benefits of enabling this feature.
Important Info: The Start VM on Connect feature supported by the following RD clients:
Let us quickly go through the configuration steps to enable the Start VM on Connect feature:
Step 1. Create the Start VM on Connect custom role
- Sign in to the Azure Portal and got to Subscriptions
- Select the Azure Subscription where the resources deployed.
- On the left-hand side menu, select Access control (IAM) – + Add – Add custom role
4. On the Basics tab, type a name into the Custom role name field
5. On the Permissions tab, there two permissions that make the difference and need to select and assign to the custom role.
In the end, the Permissions tab looks like the image below, now select Review + create
|Info: Before moving to step 2, please, wait for 1-2 minutes.|
Step 2. Assign the Custom role
The second main step is to assign the custom role to grant access to Windows Virtual Desktop.
- From the Access control (IAM) tab, select +Add – Add role assignment
- In the Role field, select the custom role name created in the previous step
- In the Select field, type into the search bar “Windows Virtual Desktop” select it and click Save.
Step 3. Configure the Start VM on Connect feature
Last but not least, it should be configured the Start VM on Connect feature on the Host pools. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to the Azure Portal and go to the resource group, where the WVD Host pool deployed.
- In the Host pool left-hand side menu, go to the Properties setting and select Yes on the Configuration – “Start VM on connect“, as the image below shows:
The Final Step
This is the best part of this post the configuration has now completed
Add the Workspace into the Remote Desktop app
Double-click the SessionDesktop icon, and the VM is automatically starting.